Midway Atoll restoration project postponed in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Due to the rapidly evolving outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (COVID-19), increasing travel restrictions, and following guidance from the White House and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for reduced travel and social distancing, it has become necessary to postpone the implementation of the Midway Atoll Seabird Protection Project which was scheduled to take place this year. Right now the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Island Conservation, and our partners are working hard to ensure that the planning and preparation of the past three years is not lost, and to develop a path forward so that we are in the best possible place to complete this project in the future.
Although this was a difficult decision to make, the safety and health of our staff members, partners, and the Midway Atoll community is paramount and pursuing the project at this time would pose unacceptable health risks. In addition to health concerns, the increasingly uncertain nature of travel restrictions has made it clear that moving forward now was simply not feasible.
Midway Atoll is one of the most important seabird colonies in the world, and the project partners remain committed to ensuring that the birds who rely on Midway have a safe and rodent-free future. We aim to move forward with this project when circumstances allow in order to give us the best possible chance at success.
We are incredibly grateful for the work that our staff members and partners have already done and remain more committed than ever to protecting Midway’s seabirds. Thank you for your dedication and support as we move forward.
- Vote for Island Conservation to Help Protect Micronesia’s Green Sea Turtle Population - May 5, 2020
- Island Conservation Joins Unboxals’ Earth Day Celebration - April 22, 2020
- COVID-19 Delays Implementation on Loosiep Island, Ulithi Atoll - April 1, 2020
- Social Distancing: Conservation Edition - April 1, 2020
- Midway Atoll Seabird Protection Project Postponed - March 25, 2020
- The Call of the Wild: Using Sound to Help Imperiled Species and Ecosystems - March 5, 2020
- Speaking up for Island Wildlife at the United Nations - March 1, 2020
- New York Times Magazine Features Island Conservation and the Opportunities and Challenges Surrounding Gene Drives - January 14, 2020
- New Expert Findings Seek to Protect U.S. National Parks from Invasive Animal Species - December 17, 2019
- Dreams Become Reality: Peruvian Diving-petrels Return to Chañaral Island, Chile - December 10, 2019