The world’s oldest known Laysan Albatross, Wisdom, has returned to Midway Atoll to nest once again.
Wisdom, a Laysan Albatross and the world’s oldest known breeding bird in the wild, has returned to Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge and Battle of Midway National Memorial. The approximately 67-year-old Wisdom flies thousands of miles each year to return to Midway Atoll. Her arrival is overshadowed only by the news that she has also laid an egg.
Each year millions of albatross return to Midway Atoll in Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument to nest and raise their young. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Refuge staff spotted Wisdom and her mate, Akeakamai, near their nest in late November, and on December 13 staff confirmed that Akeakamai was on the nest incubating an egg. Wisdom and her mate return to the same nest site on Midway Atoll each year. Since 2006, Wisdom has successfully raised and fledged at least nine chicks and traveled millions of miles in her lifetime. Bob Peyton, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Project Leader for Midway Atoll Refuge and Memorial commented:
An albatross egg is important to the overall albatross population…If you consider that albatross don’t always lay an egg each year and when they do they only raise one chick at a time – each egg is tremendously important in maintaining the survival of a colony.
Midway Atoll is home to over three million seabirds, including the largest colony of albatross in the world. Over 70% of the world’s Laysan albatross population and 29 species of birds rely on the Refuge as a safe place to breed and rear their chicks.
Albatross face a myriad of threats – from involving longline commercial fishing and marine debris to invasive species and shrinking habitat. Throughout the vast expanses of ocean, remote atolls and islands like those found in the Monument are critical refuges for seabirds, like Wisdom.
- Getting to Know the Friends of Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge - June 21, 2018
- Detection Dogs Deployed to Try and Find Remaining Few Rats on Lehua - June 18, 2018
- The Top 5 Threats to Birds may Surprise You - June 13, 2018
- One Dog that Saved an Island of Penguins - June 11, 2018
- Poor Fliers Reluctant to Cross Water - June 8, 2018
- Con X Tech Competition: Prevent Extinctions, Win $20,000 - June 5, 2018
- Win a Dream Vacation to the Galapagos and Help Prevent Extinctions - May 30, 2018
- Interview with Piqui and Lobi, the Guardians of Juan Fernández - May 29, 2018
- Tell the Albatross: Help is on the Way! - May 17, 2018
- Invasive Mice Endanger the Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross on Gough Island - May 15, 2018