In celebration of 50 years of Earth Day, Unboxals features 50 incredible species including the Pinzon Giant Tortoise and the Juan Fernandez Firecrown.
Unboxals creates powerful content to connects kids and families to nature, conservation, and animals. Their goal is to un-box a life-long passion for wildlife and create the next generation of Animal Champions. In celebration of 50 years of Earth Day, Unboxals is featuring 50 incredible species and their individual superpowers including two species close to the heart of Island Conservation—the Pinzon Giant Tortoise and the Juan Fernandez Firecrown.
Robinson Crusoe Island in the Juan Fernández Archipelago is home to the world’s only endemic hummingbird from an oceanic island—the Critically Endangered Juan Fernández Firecrown. This hummingbird is not as small as the species in your backyard, instead, it is about 5 inches in length and depends on the health native forests on Robinson Crusoe to survive. The species is sexually dimorphic, meaning males and females look different—males, are a fiery rufous-orange with an iridescent reddish-yellow crown while the females are a brilliant dark green above and whitish below with a bluish-green crown. Today, invasive species threaten the Firecrown and other native plants and animals on its native island.
The Pinzon Giant Tortoise is found only on Pinzon Island in the Galapagos Archipelago, Ecuador and is a perfect example of the impact conservation can have for island wildlife. Due to predation by invasive rats, Pinzon Tortoise hatchlings could not survive in the wild. Instead, the Galapagos National Park raised tortoises in captivity until they were too large to be attacked by invasive rats. Following the removal of invasive species, Pinzon Tortoises were able to successfully hatch in the wild for the first time in 150 years.
Watch more Unboxals Earth Day videos and become an Animal Champion!
- Press Release: Advancing Drone Technology for People and the Planet - July 1, 2020
- Restoring Balance and Building Climate Resilience on Tetiaroa Atoll - June 24, 2020
- Fishing Community Strives for Healthy Oceans Surrounding Pajaros Uno Island - June 24, 2020
- The Plight of the Pink-footed Shearwater - June 24, 2020
- Monitoring Lehua Island After Dark - June 24, 2020
- Rare Endangered Albatross Takes Flight from Midway Atoll - June 19, 2020
- Vote for Island Conservation to Help Protect Micronesia’s Green Sea Turtle Population - May 5, 2020
- Island Conservation Joins Unboxals’ Earth Day Celebration - April 22, 2020
- COVID-19 Delays Implementation on Loosiep Island, Ulithi Atoll - April 1, 2020
- Social Distancing: Conservation Edition - April 1, 2020