Maybe you’ve seen the Galápagos…but never like this!
By Heath Packard
Sunday night, Dr. Karl Campbell, Island Conservation’s own Galápagos Program Director, will be featured in an hour-long CNN documentary The Wonder List: Galápagos.
This exciting film will chronicle some amazing stories about conservation challenges and successes, and the reasons for hope in the face of the sixth mass extinction, this one caused by humans. It is up to us, humanity, to decide if we’re going to change that extinction predicament or not. This show documents how Island Conservation and others are making choices and taking action to preserve and restore island ecosystems so species don’t go extinct!
A few months ago, Karl showed CNN’s Bill Weir and filmmaker Philip Bloom around the Galápagos. He introduced them to Island Conservation and why islands are so important to protect our world’s most vulnerable wildlife.
He showed them firsthand how invasive species are one of the leading threats to the balance of Galápagos’ ecosystems and rare wildlife species that have evolved over millennia, and are found nowhere else in the world; And, most importantly, he showed them what actions we are taking, with support from our partners and donors, to save species from certain extinction!
While many of these plants and animals are on the cusp of extinction, dedicated folks like Karl, his team, the Galápagos National Park, and so many other marvelous conservationists working in the Galápagos, give wildlife and their devotees like me a sense of hope and awe. I predict this documentary will leave you with the same sense of inspiration. If you’re an animal lover, world-traveler, or a fan of remote island destinations, this episode is not to be missed!
The Wonder List: Galápagos, the second episode in this exciting new series, will air this Sunday night, March 8 at 10pm ET/PT and will then be streaming for a limited time online. We urge you to watch this terrific film and share it with your friends and family. Happy viewing.
- Working Together to Protect Lehua Island - August 17, 2017
- Wake-up Call for Imperiled Species! - June 30, 2017
- Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre de Desecheo libre de mamíferos invasivos después de casi 100 años - June 27, 2017
- After Nearly a Century, Desecheo Wildlife can Thrive Again - June 27, 2017
- Paraíso rescatado: Islas del Pacífico libres de predadores invasores - June 20, 2017
- Un Paradis Retrouvé - June 20, 2017
- Paradise Saved: Pacific Islands Cleared of Invasive Predators - June 19, 2017
- Sharp Decline in Hawaiian Petrel & Newell’s Shearwater Populations - June 8, 2017
- Entrevista de Radio Ag Update con Heath Packard - June 7, 2017
- Ag Update Radio Interview with Heath Packard - June 7, 2017