YaleEnvironment360 covers the unknowns and opportunities presented by genetic engineering in the field of conservation.
Gene drive opens up new opportunities in many different fields. In a recent article in YaleEnvironment360, award-winning writer Richard Conniff delves into a potential application of gene drive for conservation. Gene drive could help conservationists prevent extinctions of seabirds and island species.
Invasive rodents have significant negative impacts on island biodiversity. Projects to remove invasive rodents from islands are very complex and challenging. Current tools available for conservation intervention restrict professionals to a suite of islands home to less than 15% of the Critically Endangered and Endangered island species that need protection.
The Genetic Biocontrol of Invasive Rodents (GBIRd) partnership is collaboratively developing and evaluating gene-drive technology for rodents. The partnership is engaged in research to find out if gene drives could influence a mouse population to self-eliminate by becoming 100% male or 100% female. Island Conservation Director of Communications Heath Packard said:
We are committed to a precautionary step-wise approach, with plenty of off-ramps, if it turns out to be too risky or not ethical.
Research is under way, though implementation would not be expected to take place for about ten years. Dr. Kent Redford, conservation consultant and research scientist said:
[With…changes taking place all around them,] Conservationists absolutely must engage with the synthetic biology community, and if we don’t do so it will be at our peril.
- Wisdom, the World’s Oldest Known Wild Bird, Successfully Hatches Another Chick! - February 22, 2018
- WIRED Features Island Conservation Project Director Karl Campbell - February 21, 2018
- National Invasive Species Awareness Week Kicks Off February 26 - February 21, 2018
- Prions Under Attack on Gough Island - February 20, 2018
- Monitoring Phase Begins on Antipodes Island - February 20, 2018
- Revisiting Antipodes Island - February 19, 2018
- How Removing Rats Helped to Save Midway’s Seabirds - February 14, 2018
- In Defense of Biodiversity: Why Protecting Species from Extinction Matters - February 14, 2018
- A Century Later, Hope Resurfaces for Threatened Seabirds After Invasive Rabbit Removal - February 7, 2018
- Managing Invasive Species Around the World – Successes, Failures, and Hope for the Future - February 5, 2018