The National Forestry Corporation, administrator of the Juan Fernández National Park, and Island Conservation sign an agreement to restore Alejandro Selkirk Island, Chile.
The Juan Fernández archipelago hosts a great diversity of plants and wildlife. The islands are home to flora found nowhere else in the world, and birds flourish here. Recently the National Forestry Corporation (CONAF), the administrator of the Juan Fernández National Park, and Island Conservation signed an agreement to permit the removal of invasive species that threaten the native flora and fauna on Alejandro Selkirk Island. CONAF executive director Aarón Cavieres said:
We have been working with Island Conservation since 2009. Signing this agreement allows us to further strengthen collaborative work and improve the strategy to eliminate invasive plant species such as Maqui, Myrtle, and Blackberry, as well as invasive mammals such as rabbits and mice, which are limiting the survival of our ecologically important endemic species.
Island Conservation Chief Executive Officer Karen Poiani commented:
It is a privilege for Island Conservation to be working in such a globally important biodiversity hotspot.
- Alliance Seeks the Ecological Restoration of Cocos Island - February 13, 2019
- Projet d’éradication des rats envahissants pour la protection des oiseaux marins aux Marquises : les premières réussites ! - February 8, 2019
- Press Release: First Successful Rat Removal Project in the Marquesas Protects Seabird Populations - February 8, 2019
- WIRED Features Island Conservation and the First Drone-powered Invasive Rat Removal - January 31, 2019
- Press Release: Ecological Restoration of North Seymour Island Underway Thanks to Rat Removal - January 24, 2019
- BBC Wildlife Features the Release of Galápagos Land Iguanas On Santiago Island - January 11, 2019
- We Must Act Now: Threat from Seabird Eating Mice Continues to Evolve - January 10, 2019
- Threatened Galápagos Land Iguanas Return to Santiago Island En-Masse After 180-Year Absence - January 8, 2019
- Novelist Jonathan Franzen Highlights Island Conservation in Sierra Club Interview - January 7, 2019
- Santa Cruz Sentinel: Island Conservation and Preventing Extinctions - January 4, 2019