Watch and learn about Finn the Wonder Dog and his journey that helped save the Humboldt National Reserve.
Finn is no ordinary dog. He is a detection dog, specially trained to sniff out invasive rabbits. You might wonder, “How does a dog come to be a detection dog?” Well, like many dogs, Finn was rescued from an animal shelter and worked for the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service, but Finn’s skills were needed on islands all around the world.
First, he ventured to Macquarie Island where our Island Conservation staff first met him. His keen sense of smell helped Island Conservation and our partners to confirm the success of the invasive rabbit removal in 2014. That same year he traveled to Chile with his trainer Karen Andrews to help Island Conservation on the islands of Choros and Chañaral.
Choros and Chañaral Islands are part of the Humboldt Penguin National Reserve and home to the Humboldt Penguin and the Peruvian Diving Petrel. The invasive rabbits devoured native vegetation that shelter penguin chicks and occupied the nests of the Peruvian Diving Petrel. Richard Torres, manager of protected wild areas at CONAF, explained:
It is a story that has happened on many islands around the world, where sailors or fishermen did this in order to have food in isolated places. However, these species, because they are not part of the island ecosystem, cause harm to the native biodiversity.
Now, thanks to Finn and his wondrous sense of smell, Choros and Chañaral Islands have officially been declared free of invasive rabbits and for the first time in 100 years, native birds have a chance to thrive on the islands.
- Island Conservation Earns Coveted 4-Star Rating from Charity Navigator - November 12, 2019
- Press Release: Opportunities and Knowledge Gaps in Gene Drive Research - November 7, 2019
- Radiolab: Saving the Galápagos Giant Tortoise - October 18, 2019
- The Monito Gecko: Saved by the Endangered Species Act - October 3, 2019
- Join Island Conservation at Santa Cruz Works Get Biotech Event - August 26, 2019
- Nature Features GBIRd—The Promise of Gene Drives - July 10, 2019
- A New Toolkit to Accelerate Ocean Conservation: Ocean Genomic Horizon Scan - June 26, 2019
- BBC News: When Sustainable Tourism Works - June 4, 2019
- Earth Day Every Day—Six Bright Spots in Conservation - April 22, 2019
- 169 Islands that Offer Hope for Stemming the Extinction Crisis - March 26, 2019