Come take a trip around the world and learn about the animals and plants we are saving!
Our work in 2009, highlighted in the Annual Report, will take you on a journey to four regions of the world: South America, North America, the Tropical Pacific, and the Caribbean. Our first stop is California’s San Nicolas Island, one of eight Channel Islands, where we created safe breeding habitat for the Critically Endangered San Nicolas Island Fox and Brandt’s Cormorants. Next, we fly north to Rat Island in the Aleutians off the coast of Alaska where we observed a rebirth of native plant and animal populations since our removal of invasive rats in 2008. Venturing south leads us to Desecheo Island, Puerto Rico, where we are restoring seabird populations and protecting three endemic (found nowhere else) lizard species. Further south across the equator lands us on Isla de la Plata, Ecuador where we saved the Critically Endangered Waved Albatross from damaging invasive species. Our final stop is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean at Palmyra Atoll in the Line Islands. Here we are gearing up to save 11 breeding seabird species and protect Palmyra’s rare tropical forest by removing of rats from the island in 2011.
To all our donors, partners and supporters who made these successes possible—Thank You! You are truly saving the lives of plant and animal species all over the world.
The trip begins now….Island Conservation 2009 Annual Report!
- COVID-19 Delays Implementation on Loosiep Island, Ulithi Atoll - April 1, 2020
- Social Distancing: Conservation Edition - April 1, 2020
- Midway Atoll Seabird Protection Project Postponed - March 25, 2020
- The Call of the Wild: Using Sound to Help Imperiled Species and Ecosystems - March 5, 2020
- Speaking up for Island Wildlife at the United Nations - March 1, 2020
- New York Times Magazine Features Island Conservation and the Opportunities and Challenges Surrounding Gene Drives - January 14, 2020
- New Expert Findings Seek to Protect U.S. National Parks from Invasive Animal Species - December 17, 2019
- Dreams Become Reality: Peruvian Diving-petrels Return to Chañaral Island, Chile - December 10, 2019
- Island Conservation Earns Coveted 4-Star Rating from Charity Navigator - November 12, 2019
- Press Release: Opportunities and Knowledge Gaps in Gene Drive Research - November 7, 2019