The United Nations declares 2010 the International Year of Biodiversity to help safeguard the variety of life on earth.
Our planet is filled with extraordinary plants and animals that play unique roles in their ecosystems. Today we are losing this biodiversity at an alarming rate.
A look at extinction rates of birds (our best studied group) by Stewert Pimm and colleagues shows us that extinction rates were previously about 1 species every 100 years. This is just about the rate at which new species evolve. However, recent extinction rates are about 1 species a year and data on endangered birds predicts that future rates will be about 10 species per year.
Each time we lose a species our world becomes impoverished.
The United Nations has declared 2010 the International Year of Biodiversity to increase understanding of the vital role that biodiversity plays in sustaining life on Earth and to continue encouraging people to join together to protect it.
Island Conservation is working to heed the alarm bell of the extinction crisis by working where the concentration of both biodiversity and species extinctions is greatest – on islands. The greatest threat to island biodiversity is introduced invasive species. By removing this threat, Island Conservation and our partners create habitat where native plants and animals can thrive. Over the last 15 years, Island Conservation and local partners have protected 239 species on 33 islands from the threat of extinction. We live for the day when island flora and fauna are no longer declining and once again flourishing in their native habitat.
We invite you to join us in safeguarding the world’s biological diversity. To learn more about the UN’s 2010 International Year of Biodiversity initiative, click here!
- Press Release: Pursuing Sustainable Development for Island Communities by Removing Invasive Species - August 13, 2020
- Press Release: Advancing Drone Technology for People and the Planet - July 1, 2020
- Restoring Balance and Building Climate Resilience on Tetiaroa Atoll - June 24, 2020
- Fishing Community Strives for Healthy Oceans Surrounding Pajaros Uno Island - June 24, 2020
- The Plight of the Pink-footed Shearwater - June 24, 2020
- Monitoring Lehua Island After Dark - June 24, 2020
- Rare Endangered Albatross Takes Flight from Midway Atoll - June 19, 2020
- Vote for Island Conservation to Help Protect Micronesia’s Green Sea Turtle Population - May 5, 2020
- Island Conservation Joins Unboxals’ Earth Day Celebration - April 22, 2020
- COVID-19 Delays Implementation on Loosiep Island, Ulithi Atoll - April 1, 2020