Position: Communications and Photography Volunteer/Intern
Employment Type: Part Time Volunteer/Intern
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
About Island Conservation
Island Conservation (IC) is an international non-profit conservation organization headquartered in Santa Cruz, California with field offices in Australia, Canada, Chile, Ecuador, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Washington,DC. The mission of Island Conservation is to prevent extinctions by removing invasive species from islands.
IC prevents extinctions by working where the concentration of both biodiversity and species extinction is greatest—islands. By removing one of the greatest threats—introduced invasive species—threatened native island species and ecosystems recover with little or no additional intervention. To date, we have successfully restored 60 islands worldwide, benefiting 1090 populations of 399 species and subspecies.
Island Conservation is seeking a Communications and Photography intern to support communications and photography team needs in our Santa Cruz headquarters. We are seeking an enthusiastic self-starter who wants to develop new skills and build on their current photography skills.
The Communications and Photography Volunteer/Intern works closely with the Communications and Photography Team. As part of the Photography Team, the Photography Volunteer/Intern will be responsible for:
- Processing Images (Lightroom workflow)
- Importing images into Lightroom
- Ensuring the proper organizational structure of Lightroom catalog(s)
- Key wording images using Island Conservation protocols
- Preparing images for use on websites, social media, presentations and communications materials
- Building photosets and galleries on Flickr based on specific requests from the Communications team
- Preparing and coordinating high quality prints and various other photography products
- Supporting creation of shot lists for field deployments
- Support communications strategy development and implementation
- Draft, review, edit, and publish social media posts
- Monitor, analyze, and report on social media activity
- Respond to constituent messages and comments
- Share posts by IC’s partner organizations
- Monitor internet for relevant media, collect and maintain IC earned media archives
- Support website content development and updates
- Generate Twitter followers with particular focus on journalists
- Draft, proofread, and edit publications, fact sheets, press releases, letters
- Assist with editing and formatting documents and presentations
- Assemble and organize IC info packets and other collateral for meetings
- Assist with print publications including IC’s Annual Report
- Discrete projects and other assigned tasks as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Duties/Responsibilities
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop light room
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent PC computer skills with Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote)
- Strong work ethic and passion for the mission Island Conservation.
- Understanding of conservation, invasive species, and ecological principles a plus.
- Graduate or undergraduate students studying photography, communications, marketing, biology, ecology, zoology, environmental studies, environmental policy, international policy, or related fields. Able to commit to 12-40 hours/week for 6 months
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite. Specifically Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Demonstrated knowledge of conservation and ecological principles
- Demonstrated ability to attract new social media followers
- Proficient in Flickr, Hootsuite, and social media outlets
- French or Spanish language skills or fluency desired
Start date – Open immediately
Minimum commitment – 6 months, between 12-40 hours/week, flexible schedules
Location – This position will be based in Island Conservation’s Global Headquarters office:Island Conservation
2100 Delaware Ave., Suite 1 Santa Cruz, CA 95060 U.S.A.
Compensation – This is a volunteer position without any monetary compensation and does not involve travel to field sites. This position can be an internship, qualifying for course credit for college students.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and three professional or academic references firstname.lastname@example.org; No phone calls please.